Friday, April 4, 2008

What goes up, must come down....


Spinning wheel
got to go round.

Remember that oldie but goodie by Blood, Sweat and Tears?? Well, my interest in spinning has been piqued as of late.

PART of the reason why I'm so interested in spinning is simply the word, 'MASS'.
MASS destruction, MASS construction and MASS production.

Let me explain further. You see, when I watch tree after tree after tree in my area being felled for yet another shopping center, I am deeply saddened. (I swear I could be one of those people who sits in a tree so it won't get cut down!) MASS destruction, right?

Also, when I see a huge semi truck hauling chickens down the road I am sickened. And no, I'm not a vegetarian although EVERY time I see one of these trucks I swear I'll eat no more meat. Anyway, can you see the MASS destruction and MASS production here? No mom and pop farm that's for sure!

Uh oh, I better get off this soap box before we all get into a funk. :) Let's get back to happier knitty 'stuff'.

So, anyway, where was I?? Oh yeah, back to spinning....my point is... I think it would be cool to get some fleece and spin my own yarns - no MASS produced 'stuff' for me!!
Maybe this dream of spinning my own yarn is crazy -- you know, thinking that I could ever make spin enough yarn that would be usable. ( I've never even touched a spinning wheel.) But, I can dream, right? Am I crazy? Any spinners out there with advice?

Ok, well anyhoo, with my spinning dream in mind, tomorrow dh and I are going to our local college to an Alpaca Show! At the show there will be Alpaca judging (body, fleece, and halter) and obstacle course combined with artists displaying their products using alpaca fleece. Doesn't this sound like fun?? I can't wait!!


I'll let you know how it goes!
xoxox
PattyAnne


No comments: